Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Lettuce Wraps
Southwestern chicken and black bean lettuce wraps are the perfect weeknight dinner. This recipe is made in one pan and ready in less than thirty minutes. Full of flavor and nutrition, too! So. I have to admit to you guys. I was planning on sharing my Mexican chicken quinoa bake today. But you know what? The recipe wasn't perfect. And I was almost going to post it still! But I promised myself when I started this little blog I would only put recipes on this site that I absolutely adore. So, Mexican chicken quinoa bake, you will have to wait. You need to be more sauce-y. Recipe to come, soon!
Anyways, a recipe I am happy to share with you are these Southwestern chicken and black bean lettuce wraps. I have been making them for agesssss, and are loosely based off this Skinnytaste recipe.
Thanks to the spices in this recipe, this dish packs a ton of flavor. Chili, cumin, chiptole and cayenne as well as optional smoked paprika add so much flavor and benefits to your bod. I know buying spices can seem expensive, but I have found I personally use them for such a long time, that they actually end up being more cost effective than packets like taco seasoning. Plus you are not getting any weird additives or preservatives and excessive amounts of sodium. My suggestion? Start buying a new spice or two each month, and gradually fill your pantry.
This dinner is filled with nutrients, not only from the spices! You can find fiber in the vegetables and beans, protein from the chicken and beans, and healthy fats from the avocado. Each veggie offers its own unique array of vitamins and minerals, and is a wonderful example of eating from the rainbow. The mixture for the lettuce wraps serves 4-6, and can easily be doubled to eat as your lunch for the week or to freeze and eat later.
The chewy beans, juicy cherry tomatoes, crunchy lettuce and veggies, and creamy topping make this a texture lover’s dream. I highly recommend topping this with avocado, or even better- guacamole. I have to share my guacamole recipe on here ASAP, it is SO good and so simple. AHH I have so many recipes I want to give you guys! And the worst part? I keep coming up with new ideas, I have a huge list on my phone, an even longer list on my computer and too many ideas on my Pinterest account to count. Food blogger problems, I tell ya.
Focus, Victoria. Back to the lettuce wraps. Add them to your meal plan next week, I promise you will thank me later!
- 1 lb ground chicken (or turkey or lean beef)
- 1 T oil (like grapeseed) or grass fed butter
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium sized carrot, diced
- 1 can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (use less if prefer less spicy)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 T sriracha, optional
- 8-12 leaves of iceburg or leaf lettuce
- Toppings: green onion, avocado or guacamole
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Once heated, add the chicken and cook until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink, approximately 5-7 minutes. Drain of fat (leaving about a tablespoon in the pan to cook the vegetables), remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the oil or butter and then add the onion, bell pepper and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetable become slightly tender. Add the beans, kale, jalapeno and tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes. Add all the spices and mix to combine. Add the chicken back and mix to combine. Season with salt to taste. If adding the sriracha, add and mix to combine.
- Place into lettuce wraps and add toppings of choice.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and if you make them- show me how you enjoyed them! Use the hashtags #nourishyoself and #diehardfoodiefinds, and tag me in the picture @the_diehard_foodie.